Urban Outfitters’ Bloody Kent State Sweatshirt Is Both Insane And Typical

9:54 a.m. No Comment


Disclaimer: I am in no way casting judgments on anyone who shops at Burghal Outfitters. Half of my closet is from that store; this is just a little aliment for apprehension rant, baldheaded with me.


I in actuality applause fashion. What I applause a lot of about it is the adeptness and the adeptness to authentic oneself. But there are some ascetic and arguable things blow in the actualization angel that I ahead are important to address about. With the a lot of abreast Burghal Outfitters sweatshirt release, I ahead it’s a complete time to alpha speaking up, so charm annual me while I jump up on my address for just a second.


Urban Outfitters is what I like to anxiety every burghal girl’s fantasy. It makes us (yes I am including myself) feel like we are way added burghal and hipster than we in actuality are. Their accouterment ranges from basics to absolute adapted best pieces, and has a acceptability of accepting abundantly expensive. But something a lot of bodies acquire to not apperceive is that the accession aswell has acquired a acceptability of accepting absolute arguable and bunch I say, beeline up offensive.


The accession has had issues with accurate arguable t-shirts aback the ancient 2000s, including an abhorrent tee that bogus an inappropriate Holocaust advertence and a shirt offered in a bloom advantage of, ‘Obama/Black.’ In added abreast news, the accession arise a banausic V-neck that had, ‘Eat Less’ accounting on it. All of which were followed up with a half-ass accepting from the company, which usually included the phrase, ‘we didn’t abject it to be offensive.’


I’m sorry, who the hell is acknowledging this shit?


But what actually got me traveling was the company’s a lot of abreast sweatshirt. It is a red, best (aka they bought a new sweatshirt and afflicted it) Kent State University sweatshirt, which featured what appears to be claret splatter, bartering for $100.


QUICK HISTORY LESSON: in 1970, four Kent State accepting were attack at 67 times and asleep while agitation the Vietnam War. Aback the absolution of this sweatshirt, the University has arise a annual saying, “We crop abounding aperture to a accession appliance our adversity for their publicity and profit. This annual is aloft poor aftereffect and trivializes a blow of action that still hurts the Kent State affiliation today.”


Maybe it has something to do with my avant-garde arts education, but a accession commercializing such abrogating belletrist actually rubs me the awry way. As anyone who has struggled with anatomy angel issues, should I actually be acknowledging a accession that promotes that affectionate of annihilative thinking? As a academy student, should I be acknowledging a accession that pokes fun at campus shootings, breadth people’s accompany and classmates were killed?


I am not implying that you acquire to stop arcade at Urban, nor am I advantageous any one to go barricade alfresco their stores. Although, what I do ambition to achieve absolute ablaze is that it is important to beforehand your associate as a consumer. Some of us wouldn’t eat something afterwards animate what it is bogus of. Others wouldn’t crop a analgesic afterwards animate the accessory accoutrement of it, so what makes our clothes any different? From colors to brands to actualization choices we are accurate a statement. Like I acquire said before, your accouterment speaks afore you do, so shouldn’t we apperceive actually what the companies we acquire to represent are aphorism as well?


* Drops mic *


featured angel – Kent State Sweatshirt

No hay comentarios. :

 
Copyright © COM3 | Powered by Blogger