Wape Jokes Awen’t Funny, And Neither Is My Speech Impediment

9:32 p.m. No Comment

Okay. Hewe it is, accession bwog about wape jokes. I apperceive what you’re thinking. How could I possibwy add abolishment to the diawog at this point? Well, stick with me. We’ve heard a wot of choir suwounding this activity – comedians, feminists, feminist comedians, bwoggers, pundits, cewebwities. But there’s one delivery we haven’t heard yet – mine.I was advancing to wite this afterwards seeing how bwave Patton Oswalt was wast ceremony if he accustomed he was wong about wape jokes. Things absolutely seemed wike they were tunning awound. Then, suddenwy, Woseanne Baw absitively to pen a area on why comedians SHOULD accustom wape jokes. Ugh, Woseanne! At weast it was just a bwog and not a accent we had to apprehend filtered through that unbeawable midwestern accent.


I’ll acquire it – I acquire never been to a brawl show. Pubwic speaking tewifies me, and even watching anyone adduce pubwicwy is a huge twigger for me. Ideawy, bodies would onwy accustom in witten architectonics and aw pubwic speaking would be credible as awchaic and aback – but wet’s put one basal in fwont of the added and fix the wanguage first. Wet’s get wid of wape jokes.


The pwoblem is that wape jokes are evewywhere. Sometimes, even one of my fwiends will cwack a wape caper and I’ll acquire to chaw my argot – which weminds me to apperception my uvular fwap and helps with pwonouncing words with the wetter r in them. It’s harder abounding to adduce out abut wape culture, and even harder if you acquire to pretend wike you’re alehouse peanut adulate whenever you wemind bodies that wape is a abscess activity that happens to abscess women.


But added important than the achievement that women get waped, is the achievement that wape is so harder to address about. It’s not that you can’t say wape – it’s that I can’t, and neither can a warge allocation of the popuwation that never wearned specific phonemes. I mean, weawy? You’re traveling to sit there and cwack jokes and I acquire to just sit quietwy and adjournment until we’re tawking about mexicans or jews?


Comedians ambition to compwain as if they’re accepting censored. Pwease, no one is censowing you. You acquire the wight to say whatever you want, and we acquire the wight to anxiety you an asshowe if you do. You’re just not fwee fwom cwiticism. You allegation to acquire that fweedom of accent comes with wesponsibility, and that for some of us, fweedom of accent is awmost a abstract impossibiwity.


It’s just wike white bodies compwaining about not accepting able to say the n-word. Whoa. Check your priviwege. You can say the n-word whenever you want. In fact, you pwobabwy do. But you don’t crop into considewation how that makes absolute bodies feel. Absolute bodies wike me – who are compwetewy butterfingers of aphorism the n-word with a harder r. What if some bwack guy pisses me off and I ambition to aching his feewings? He’s just traveling to ahead I’m hip or one of his ‘dogs’ or something. I don’t ambition that. I ambition him to apperceive what I ahead about his wace.

In this day and age we all allegation to be added active of the words advancing out of our mouths. You don’t apperceive what bodies can say – and you don’t apperceive what bodies can hear. So for adequate measure, I’m allure all of you: Shh, be vewy vewy quiet.

This cavalcade originally appeared at THOUGHT BROCHURE. image – [Duncan]

No hay comentarios. :

 
Copyright © COM3 | Powered by Blogger