I ahead wrote about how I can’t accept to the radio these canicule because of the candidly animal and available lyrics articulate by men. But I ambition to accede the another of this as well.
The radio is aswell abounding with songs articulate by women that advance the actual affair that they accuse about. If women don’t ambition to be beheld as altar by men, the aboriginal footfall is to stop announcement their own objectification. There are abounding examples beyond all genres of music, from country to bedrock to hip-hop. I’ve best a few that accept been on the radio Top 40 and that I’ve apprehend all the time.
Beyoncé sings in “Check On It”:
Ohh, boy you searching like you like what you see/
Won’t you appear over and analysis up on it/
I’m gone let you plan up on it
Ladies let em analysis up on it/
Watch it while he analysis up on it…
If you got it, advertise it, boy I apperceive you ambition it/
While I about-face about you watch me analysis up on it/
Ooh, you watchin’ me agitate it, I see it in ya face/
Ya can’t yield it, it’s blazin, you watch me in amazement.
I played with your heart, got absent in the game/
Oh baby, baby/
Oops! You anticipate I’m in love/
That I’m beatific from above/
I’m not that innocent.
“I don’t absolutely affliction area you reside at/
Just about-face around, boy, let me hit that/
Don’t be a little allegation with your chit chat/
Just appearance me area your dick’s at.
I apperceive you like me/
I apperceive you do/
That’s why whenever I appear around/
She’s all over you/
I apperceive you ambition it/
It’s simple to see/
And in the aback of your mind/
I apperceive you should be on with me/
Don’t cha ambition your adherent was hot like me?
Again, like “Blurred Lines,” I will play these songs in my car and ball about all day long. They’re catchy, fun and all-embracing JAMS. I’ve apparent Beyoncé and Britney in concert and I WOULD AGAIN, SHUT UP, OK?
But my academician aswell knows that these lyrics are not “helping the cause,” so to speak. If this isn’t accept if guys do it, again it’s not accept if woman do it. Period.
I accept had this altercation in the accomplished with abounding women and I apperceive it’s a bad-tempered one. I accept heard the altercation that, “If men can do it, so can women,” or that women are artlessly “taking aback the ability and redefining gender roles and norms.” I accept that argument. I just don’t accede with it.
I don’t accede with it because it just contributes to the normalization that this blazon of ambiance is accept to activate with. And it’s not. It’s a bifold accepted and it’s not right.
If a dude thinks that all women in the club/bar/campus/world who “act like that”/”dress like that”/like this music are accessible to objectification, again that’s not okay. Men accept to yield some claimed albatross here.
But ladies: we do accept to yield some claimed albatross in this, too.
Dave Chappelle has a ball bit that I like on the subject:
Now, I apperceive this pisses a lot of humans off, but I get what he’s saying. And I’ve gotten into it with some changeable accompany who artlessly disagree. They’ve said, “Hold up, so he’s adage that men are just animals who can’t ascendancy themselves and it’s the woman’s accountability for accepting addled because of how she dresses?” I don’t accept he’s adage that. He does emphasize, “Gentlemen, that is true, just because they dress a assertive way doesn’t beggarly they are a assertive way, don’t anytime overlook it.”
But: he does accept a point. Yes, a woman can dress any way she wants. She can airing down the artery in a burka or in a bikini, that’s her acknowledged right. My point is, is it the smartest affair to do accustomed our reality, which this music and pop ability has had a duke in shaping?
Hell, if your boobs are out, I’m gonna attending at them, because well, boobs! I’ve just objectified you, apologetic about that.
I’ve argued with abounding feminist accompany about this affair and apperceive it’s a bad-tempered one. I subscribe to the band of feminism as authentic as: “men and women should accept according rights, analysis and admission to resources.” Under that definition, you’d be harder apprenticed to acquisition a woman or man these canicule who wouldn’t ascertain themselves as a feminist (except maybe some of those abolitionist “Men’s Liberationists” or far bourgeois religious nuts).
I anticipate the altercation comes down to two actual altered ideologies. There are humans who reside their lives based in how they accept the apple should be ideally. And there are those who reside their lives based on how they accept the apple is in reality. And those are generally two actual altered things. My affection tells me that I ambition to reside in a apple that I can abrasion whatever I ambition and be airy and safe. My arch tells me that this abominably just isn’t consistently our reality. How we ambition association was isn’t necessarily how association in fact is.
I ambition to airing down the artery in a bad adjacency at 1:00 A.M. with a agglomeration of adornment on, aboveboard counting my abounding of banknote and apprehend that no one would mug me. But that’s apparently not reality, so I abstain accomplishing that.
What I am not saying:
1. Women are at accountability or deserve to be raped or addled because of how they accept to dress. Or say. Or act. Or ANYTHING FOR ANY REASON, EVER.
2. That some women never ambition to be objectified and hit on. There are women account this who will think, “Well I’m not some ‘uptight feminist!’ I like bathrobe sexy! I like accepting absorption from guys!” I get that. I get that sometimes it is fun to get dressed up all adult and agitate it to some Robin Thicke. That’s reality.
Ideally, women en masse would all apprehend that the acumen we all now acquisition this fun to activate with is due to the normalization of animal objectification via pop culture, like music featuring the lyrics like the ones mentioned here, and that we’d all collectively accede to stop fucking ablution bags. I AM ALL ABOUT THIS.
But I aswell apperceive that that is not acceptable to happen. So in reality, if a dude with this objectification mentality happens aloft a woman with this aforementioned mentality, he checks her out and objectifies her, she wants to be arrested out and objectified, he hits on her, she wants to be hit on, she hits on him back, again fantastic! That formed out able-bodied for everyone, right? What do you care, they’re accomplishing their thing, leave them alone.
But.
But again you accept to accede the bifold accepted that is in play if it happens on a day that “you’re just not activity it.” Or if it happens to your sister or your best acquaintance who wasn’t anytime into it.
So while we’re singing, “If you got it, advertise it, boy I apperceive you ambition it,” and again get mad at a dude if a he hollers at us, we charge to anticipate about the alloyed letters we’re sending. I am not adage to necessarily avoid all pop ability and music. What I am adage is that association has confused to a abode area women accept aswell absent to how their music, words and accomplishments can accord to their own objectification.
image – Beyonce/Crazy in Love
No hay comentarios. :