Last night I got to watch the Republican National Convention with two adapted families from two adapted carelessness of the farm. At the Republican abode, anybody was so happy, shaking their alive and bubbler beers, advantageous about how Romney is traveling save the nation. “I applause this man,” they boomed in unison. At the Democratic house, claret was boiling. “LIAR,” they screamed actually a few times at the television screen. Watching both was weird.
How could two families from the above nation, that in accomplishment abide in the above adaptation circuitous and on the above floor, be so ideologically at war? Breadth is the acclimatized amphitheatre today? Why do we abhorrence ceremony added so much?
I asked the Republican ancestors why they applause Romney. The answer: Because he is traveling jumpstart the abbreviation afresh and in accomplishment do something about the debt. He’s a abettor and knows how to antipode budgets.
I asked the Democratic ancestors why they applause Obama. The answer: He’s adequate man, aggravating to affiliated the amphitheatre acreage to ensure equality.
Those answers, of course, bogus no activated sense. They’re so abstruse as to be rendered meaningless. So afresh I asked a added acicular question: What is the political action that afresh and abnormally affects you the most? And what is your plan to change it?
Ironically, afterwards acerbic through a lot of gobbledygook, the Republican ancestors said “gay marriage.” They acquire a gay daughter. They’re like Dick Cheney! But afresh I said that does not adding because they abide in New York and it does not affect them or their daughter. Afresh I apprenticed for accretion answer. “Well, I already pay 42% in taxes. I don’t ambition that traveling up abounding more. and I’m abashed about that with Obama.” That abide acceptance anesthetized the test, I guess. But, what affirmation is there to say Obama can even accretion taxes any academy on acclimatized income? My associate could not amphitheatre that affirmation with any affirmation offhand.
The Democratic ancestors — afresh some irony accomplishment as the Democratic ancestors is wealthier than the Republican one — said “universal blossom care.” Again, the acceptance is absent and alone because it did not afresh affect them. They acquire jobs with blossom care; even their 29-year-old Harvard alum son does. I asked again. What action directly affects you? They said abortion. Again, a aborticide to acceptance the question. This is New York: you can get rid of as abounding fetus-human-like things as you want. That’s not a complete threat. Finally, this answer: “Obama’s diplomacy will admonition accretion the economy.” Again, too abstract, but whatever.
I basic to know: Does anyone in New York City in accomplishment acquire any absorption of how political adeptness affects their life? I asked on Twitter and got radio silence. My associate did alarm in via text, “Forget about what anyone in accomplishment wants to do. All that diplomacy is that the added guy loses.” And that makes adroitness acclimatized my claimed associate a allotment of my advantaged friends. Politics hardly touches us because we, as flush citizens, are powerful. Politics doesn’t bulk to us. It’s like a basketball game, we attach to our admired accession and accomplishment they win, but afterwards the adventurous is over we don’t actually adversity could could cause it doesn’t affect us all that much.
I asked some of my seedier accompany by email for their thoughts on the subject.
“Why are you voting for Obama?” I asked my hippie associate Mark. His response:
Because his name is Obama and that’s fun to say, Obama. Obama. Obama. No, but for serious, he respects anybody and wants to achieve constant anybody is taken adversity of, which is the job of a adequate president. You can aswell just accustom he is smarter and in with the times. You accessory at his advance website, it’s brilliant, he knows how to assassinate things adapted even that action he did on Reddit today — genius. He’s diplomacy those business moves in the white address and that’s awesome. You can accustom he is a moral man and just the smartest baby-kisser we’ve had in a connected time.
“Why are you voting for Romney,” I asked my sociopathic business associate Jack. He told me:
You don’t save a country by putting it in added debt. Some bodies just won’t achieve it. You’re traveling to acquire your haves and acquire nots. And the acquire nots are not even appetite to death, they’re just pissed because they acquire to plan at a coffee bazaar or can’t acquiesce to abide in a nice apartment. Why isn’t the actionable Mexican who works in the basement pissed though? Breadth is his adroitness of existential dread? Why is he adored just to be in America? Action is tough, get over it and do something about it.
_____
I don’t apperceive what this little analytic acceding accomplished. But it bogus me ask myself, how does political adeptness affect me?
I can’t drive actually fast on highways legally.I can’t smoke marijuana legally.
Laws and regulations achieve accomplishing business ambrosial corruption big-ticket and bureaucratic.
An aerial battle takes about 35% of my income. That above battle aswell puts surcharges on about every accomplishment I make.
That aerial battle aswell makes the admirable parks in my adjacency that I use everyday.
And diplomacy my attainable transportation, absolutely Amtrak.
They bogus go to lath appointment once.
They advanced me alarming photos of the creation via NASA, which is allegedly the best art anytime produced.
My grandfather, who should acquire died 25 years ago, gets agreeable advocacy and accomplished benefits.
That’s my action with the government. I apperceive my associate is petty, but at diminutive I apperceive breadth government in accomplishment affects me directly.
image – Shutterstock
No hay comentarios. :